History of St. Joseph Church and Parish
St. Joseph’s Church and Parish was established February 25, 1949 by the Most Reverend Charles P. Greco, Roman Catholic Bishop for this area.
Fr. J. B. Gremillion was appointed as first Pastor and charged with the organization of the parish and erection of the physical plant. At a series of meetings during March of 1949, organizational plan developed with the election of the following men on the Finance and Building Committees; Finance Committee; M. J. Lasseigne, Chairman, C. M. Pasquier, Joseph Dazzio, T. E. Fergusson, and Oscar Pickels; Building Committee, Camille E. Richardson, Chairman, Robert Beck, Leon Butler, Coty Rosenblath, and Carl Rosenblath.
Plans were advanced for the erection of a gymnasium auditorium which would be used temporarily as a church and parish hall and center. The financial campaign was launched on April 4th, 1949 with Paul F. O’Brien as speaker of the occasion. Ground for the first building was broken in July by Bishop Greco; Mr. N. C. McGowen, K.S.G, was speaker for the occasion. The contract was let to J. H Brown Contruction company with Peyton and Bosworth architects. Construction began in August of 1949 and the building was occupied April 2, 1950. In the interm from March 1949 to the date of occupancy 13 months later, the Sacrifice of the Mass was offered twice each Sunday in the Broadmoor Theatre.
The people of St. Joseph’s parish has established many most active organizations. Principal among these and their presidents since establishment are as follows: Mary’s Workers, Mrs. T. E. Fergusson and Mrs. Hilda B. Ware; Altar Society, Mrs. Clint Teacle and Mrs. C. M. George; St. Joseph’s Men Club, Mr. Edwin Hunter; Knights of Columbus, Mr. John Iles, Grand Knight. The choirs have been directed by Claude M. Corbett and Miss Alverne Hubley with Miss Jo Ann Gooch, Mrs. Tom Van Hoose and Mrs. William Bailey as organists. These organizations have taken leadership in the multitude of projects for the benefit of the people of the Parish and community covering an extremely broad field.
In December of 1950, Father J. P. Scherer became Assistant Pastor.
Several parish-wide meetings led to the completion of plans for the erection of St. Joseph’s School. To the original Finance Committee the following member were added: Dr. J. E. Holoubeck, J. J. Curvin, Charles Boogaerts, J. R. Mayeaux: and William Gooch was added to the Building Committee. The contract was let to H. R. Jenkins Construction Company with Peyton and Bosworth as architects. Work began May 1, 1951. The cornerstone laying ceremony was held May 31, 1951, with Bishop Greco as Officient and Paul F. O’Brien as speaker of the occasion. The school was occupied in September 1951, staffed by Sisters of the Divine Providence, whose mother house is in San Antonio, Texas, and whose reputation as educators over the entire southwest has been enhanced by their Lady of the Lake College in San Antonio.