First Communion/First Reconciliation
First Communion is the introduction of the sacrament known as Holy Communion or the Holy Eucharist. First Communion is a great celebration that takes place within the Catholic Mass and involves the communicant, the family and the participation of the entire Church. The Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist is one of the three sacraments of initiation in the Church. The other two are Baptism and Confirmation. First Communion is preceded by the sacrament of Penance, also known as Confession or Reconciliation The 2nd grade classes of the Parish School of Religion and St. Joseph School will be prepared to receive the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Communion at a scheduled Mass in the Spring of 2019. A parent orientation meeting will be held to give parents support and guidelines for this important Faith journey.
What we ask of Parents:
- Attend weekly Sunday mass with your child.
- Please submit an official copy of you child’s baptismal certificate to the Church Office, unless the child was baptized at St. Joseph’s.
- Make sure that your child faithfully attends First Communion formation through PSR (unless other arrangements have been made with the DRE).
- Help your child learn the prayers he/she is expected to know, such as the Hail Mary, Our Father, Glory Be, Act of Contrition.
What we ask of Children:
- Baptism in the Catholic Church.
- Weekly attendance of Sunday mass with their families.
- Faithful attendance of First Communion formation through PSR.
- Mastery of the required prayers for First Communion: the Hail Mary, the Our Father, the Glory Be, the Act of Contrition.
- Completion of First Communion formation by attending the First Communion Retreat and First Reconciliation.
To register your child for First Communion, click here.
To pay your First Communion registration fee of $55.00, click here.
- First Communion Parents’ Meeting: September 23, 2018
- First Communion Retreat: April 13, 2019 (tentative)
- First Reconciliation: April 13, 2019 (tentative)
- First Communion Pictures by Harrington House Photography: April 27, 2019
- First Communion Mass: April 28, 2019